Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's Never a Dull Moment at the Bojos

Tuesday afternoon my mom came over with the twins, Carter and Chloe, so they could swim with my kids. The kids played and swam while my mom and I visited. We had a nice time. I ordered Chinese for supper and we all ate up.

Right after eating, my mom and I felt sooo full, but okay. Later that night, I went to Bingo with my girlfriends. I felt okay at Bingo, still really full, bloated full. Anyways, we had a great time at Bingo, I even won $25.00!! Afterwards, I went home, Dennis is still gone, and went to sleep.

I woke up around 3am with terrible cramps and a burning sensation in my stomach. Cramps that wouldn't allow me to lay on my stomach or side. So, I got up and walked around, looked outside (it was raining, thundering, and lightening bad), checked on the girls, took 8 tums, etc. After about an hour, I went back up to bed and read a book for awhile. I couldn't fall back asleep because I felt like I was going to either puke, or go from the other end:)

So, 7:30 rolls around, I finished my book, and it was time for me to take Lauren to Driver's Ed. The cramps and burning even made it hard for me to walk. After I came home from dropping off Lauren I laid in bed for awhile, but it hurt to much. So I got up and went downstairs to watch T.V. Then my back began to hurt, as well. It was hard to sit, lay, or walk. I was not a happy camper and I couldn't eat or sleep. I made myself stay up until noonish, thinking I might fall asleep from exhaustion.

Finally, I laid down around 12:30 and the phone rang, it was Dawn. She was so excited, she had gotten her golf clubs out from storage, all happy wanting to talk about the golf scramble we were going to be in on Saturday. My response, "I've been up since 3am, I feel terrible, I'm trying to take a nap." Sorry, Dawn!!!

I tossed and turned until 3ish and then finally got out of bed. Oh, by the way, did I mention that I that I'd been having diarrhea all day, too. I was miserable, just trying to make it through the day.

Then, Dawn called again around 4:30 and said they were going to Kokomos with the Muylle's to drive some balls to practice for Saturday. All the kids were going to play putt-putt golf. Both my girls have been wanting to go there all summer. So, my thought process was, maybe if I do something I wouldn't think about how I feel and the girls could have fun with all the other kids. So, I showered, got the girls ready, looked and looked for Dennis' golf clubs, found them, and headed to Kokomos.

We arrived at Kokomos, Jill and her family was already there, so we waited a few minutes for Dawn and her family. After Dawn and family arrived, the kids went to play putt-putt while the adults went to drive balls. Before the girl worker would accept money for the driving range, she made sure to warn us about how hot it was in the dome. "No, problem," we all replied.

When she said, "hot", she meant hot!! It was like a sauna in there. I think I sweat 10 pounds off! We all hit some balls, laughed at each other, and gave advice! It was alot of fun!! Afterwards, we decided to play laser tag, boys against girls. All I can say is, "Girls rule and boys drool!" We won, of course. We had a great time and we were glad we went!

Lauren, Emily, and I headed home with a stop at McDonalds for their supper, I was in no shape or mood to cook dinner. We got home, they ate, I drank Sprite, and that was that.

I was still feeling pretty crappy, so I decided to take my temperature. It was 100.1, huh. I called my neighbor, Angela, and explained my situation and she wondered aloud if my appendix was beginning to rupture. So, I got out my new encyclopedias and looked it up. I had many of the warning signs for appendicitis, which started to freak me out. So I called my doctor's office after hours and she quickly called me back. The big thing she told me to look for was blood in my stool, if I had that then head to the ER.

Well, low and behold, 2 hours later, there was blood in my stool. I called Angela and she took me to the ER. We got there around 10 p.m.

Side note (funny story) - while I was waiting to be checked in, a guy came in holding a ice bag to his head. We heard him say he had gotten "bit" by a bee. While I was in my room later on, his room was next to mine, we heard the doctor go in to asses the situation.
The doctor asked what was wrong, his reply, "I got bit by a bee."
The doctor asked, "are you having trouble breathing?"
"No," from the guy.
"Are you feeling faint?" the doctor asked.
"No," from the guy.
"Are you allergic to bees?" the doctor asked, finally.
"No," the guy replies.
Anglela and I cracked up and then we couldn't hear the rest of the exchange. This story fits in with our neighbor who is an ER doctor who always complains that "stupid" (her words) people go the the ER for dumb things. Which reminds me, should I have gone to the ER last week when I got stung by that hornet?

Anyways, back to the story. They put me on an IV right away for dehydration, gave me anti-nausea medicine and Pepcid. They also took blood work. We waited and waited. They said the blood work would be back in 30-45 minutes. An hour later they came in to say all the blood work was good, but my lipates were elevated which could indicate a viral infection. It wasn't the Chinese food, which I had thought all along. I was still in alot of abdominal pain, though.

So, they ordered some narcotics. The nurse came in with 4 vials of narcotics to add to the IV line. Wow, they made me high, but they instantly took away the pain. I finally got released around 1 a.m. Which is around the time Dennis was arriving home from his work trip to Kentucky. I had told him where I was, but when I was talking earlier to him, the doctor came in to tell me about the blood work. After the doctor left, I had forgotten to call Dennis back.

Angela and I pull into my driveway and Dennis' truck was gone, which has been parked there all week because he had been in his work truck. The phone rang and it was Dennis. He was wondering where I was, I told him I was at home and he told me he was at the hospital. Awwwh! He was so worried, that when he got home at 12:45ish he went to the emergency room, mind you I discovered later the wrong emergency room. I was at St. Mary's on Tittabawassee and he went to Covenant on Michigan. Finally, after he got home we went to bed and I didn't wake up until 12 noon the next day! Must of been the medicine.

The story doesn't end there. The next day, when I woke up, I was greeted by none other than a migraine headache!! Yeah!! I had forgotten from previous ER experiences, that narcotics often give you what is called a kick-back headache. So, I took some of my migraine medicine and headed back to bed. I woke again around 3 p.m. and a couple hours later I began to feel more human.

So, it feels good to be back in the world again, regretfully two days of my week were wasted. But, what can you do. I was just thankful it was nothing serious and I can still kick some butt in our golf scramble on Saturday:)

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh my goodness!!! What a horrible week you had. I can't believe what nastiness you ended up with. I also can't believe you're still up for golfing tomorrow. Glad you are feeling better now. Eeks.

Amy said...

Thanks, Dawn!!

Julie said...

UGH! UGH! UGH! This is SO not allowed when you are on summer vacation isn't it? I hope you are feeling better and looking forward to a fun day on the golf course.

Amy said...

I sure am, Julie!!

Just pray that those migraines stay away!

Jill said...

Amy we are glad you went with us to hit golf balls, however you could have stayed in bed and we could have taken your children with us.
Hope you stay healthy.

Dawn said...

I'm reading again and just LOL about the guy who got "bit" by a bee. Such idiots.

Amy said...

Thanks for all you love, girls!

It did help me to get out of the house, Jill, and not fully concencrate on my stomach:0