Monday, July 21, 2008

God Help Me

Please pray with me, because I'm gonna need it! I just came back from riding in the car with Lauren while she was driving since she now has her official pink slip to drive with parents. She begged me to take her out and I warned her that I wasn't going to do well, but she insisted!!

I needed to take my purse to the dry cleaners which is less than 5 miles away, but it is also on State Street. So, off we go and all I can say is someone else needs to step in for me because I don't think I can do this with her. Where are all my friends when I need them?

I was a nervous wreck and now I've got a migraine from the stress. She didn't do that bad, but she is sooo inexperienced at turning, pulling out, and stopping. I was yelling, "Stop, Stop, Stop," because she is obviously a fan of stopping when he gets right up on the car. I need that emergency brake on my side! Anyone know how much those cost to install and where I can get one?

Needless to say, we made it, but not without loss of years on my life. Her legs were shaking while she was driving, I was raising my voice, and then finally we made it home alive. That is until next time.

She tells me, "you are going to have to get used to this." Boy, I don't know how many more times I can handle this anxiety! To be continued...

11 comments:

Dawn said...

Ok crazy person! You mean to tell me you've never ridden with Lauren and you have her take you somewhere on State St? For goodness sakes! Go find some country roads and practice turning on a less busy street! Then tackle the highway silly.

You're weren't 15 that long ago were you? ;) I'll ride with Lauren. No sweat.

Glad you survived. :)

Lisa said...

Amy, I do feel for you. I think of my parents at this point. They had to do that 6x. Now I know where their gray hairs came from. LOL It will get easier with each time she drives. But I think if you raise your voice she might get more nervous. I will be in your shoes soon enough, but I will pray for your safety.

Lisa said...

You can bring her out here on my country back roads and I will help you out. We have wide open roads out here and they are not busy.

Jill said...

Hello girl country roads always have a ditch! I'll stick with the city streets!

My Taylor still does not want to drive and I'm fine with that.

She will do fine. However I been in the car with Dennis, so please get used to it or we may have another Dennis on the road!!
Just kidding Dennis!!

Amy said...

Dawn,
When I read your comment I was visualizing the big ditches, so I'm not sure what is worse: the big ditches or the busy streets? I'll remember your offer to help! I told her she could drive home today from Swan Valley, so we'll see!

Lisa,
Feel my pain, because you aren't too far behind me. I couldn't imagine being put through this 6 times!! I would lose my mind. I've promised myself today I won't raise my voice:)

Jill,
You voiced what I was visualizing:) I can understand now why you are fine with Taylor!!
I agree with the whole Dennis thing, as well! I don't know how he is still alive being that he drives all day, every day:) I'm just thinking that he might be able to be calmer? I'll keep you posted!!

Dawn said...

Good luck on today's adventure! You could start a whole blog on this title. The trials and tribulations of teaching my daughter to drive. I'm surprised you don't need to sit on a pillow to drive. My Grandma did. Now I'm just picking a fight. ;) ♥

Amy said...

You are mean, Dawn:)

Today went alot better until:
1. She didn't know to turn down our street because she didn't know how to get home! AARG!

2. As we were pulling into our driveway she used the accelerator and then looked back at our neighbors who were walking down the street, as we were moving closer to the garage door!

2. She continued to use the accelerator while in the driveway and came within inches of the back door and garage door.

Other than that she did well and I didn't yell until we were in the driveway:)

Dawn said...

So glad to hear that today went better. Funny about the driveway. I remember doing really well coming home once and then flying into the driveway probably like Lauren did and Dad had had enough, "STOP THIS CAR, GET OUT OF THIS CAR!" hehe. We all had to learn once didn't we?

Amy said...

Funny, Dawn!! Somehow I can't see your dad yelling.

Dawn said...

It was rare but yeah Dad could get upset. We really knew it when we were in trouble.

I remember he swore ONCE at Jeff and I about had a heart attack. I'll never forget it. :( He probably doesn't even remember though, he'd be embarrassed.

Julie said...

There will be a day when you will say, "I am so glad Lauren can drive" and fully appreciate how much this act can help you. But for now - you aren't the first parent to go through this phase of parenthood, and not the last. Good luck to you BOTH.