Friday, July 25, 2008

God Help Him, Now

The trials and tribulations of driving with your teenage daughter:) Dennis took Lauren today to return some videos to Family Video on Bay Road.

I turned to watch as Lauren was pulling in the driveway and all I saw was Dennis' hands on the wheel steering her away from the house. Lauren came in, looked at me (her face was red and on the verge of tears), and went to her room. Dennis followed, sat on the couch and told me that we wasted our money on driver's training:) He said he can't do it anymore, that she needs to drive with her Papa.

He was telling me that she doesn't do the same things I've already said, but now he has experienced the same terrifying loss of control that I've experienced and will have to continue to experience. Lucky me!!

So we'll keep everyone posted on our fun times with helping her learn to drive.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh poor Lauren! You guys must make her nervous. ;) Sorry it's been rough, at least you are making some great stories for future generations.

Lisa said...

The mopre she drives, the better she will get. I think she is trying to hard. maybe she needs to just loosen up. Start every day with a clean driving slate and a clear mind. Easy for me to say, I am not in your shoes. Good luck tomorrow. It will get better.

Amy said...

I do feel bad for her, as I promised myself I wouldn't yell. Which I didn't until we got into the driveway;)

I guess I've always assumed Dennis would be more calm, of which I've learned I'm wrong. I thought he had more patience than I did.

She does good driving, it's just the turning, parking, backing up, all those extra things.

Thanks girls for all the advice, can't wait until you are in my shoes:)

Julie said...

It must be the curse of the grandparents. Haven't you ever heard of your mother or your mother in law say: "all I want is for you to have one child like YOU." Thus all parents need to endure the rite of automobile driving and thus driving parents insane. Someday, you'll look back and be grateful that she can drive herself. SOMEDAY.

Anonymous said...

OMG!! After I got done laughing at the visual of Dennis & Lauren coming into the house, I then started to cry as I invisioned my life about 14 yrs from now... How did our parents survie us???

Amy said...

Carrie,
I know you envisioned perfectly the scene. I too, wanted to laugh, but didn't.

I don't know how my parents survived me in our high school years.

But I can say, they had it easy compared to today's issues that Lauren faces in high school and issues I, (we, but we all know the truth:) face with trying to parent her.