Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dance Around the World

Two Saturdays ago, (Yes, I know I'm behind), Lauren and Emily had their dance recital. We got lucky and were home in time from Florida to make the dance rehearsal and recital. I booked our trip to Floirda more than a year in advance. We got back from Florida on Wednesday and had the dress rehearsal on Thursday for 5 hours and then the dance recital was Saturday from 4-7 p.m.

Both girls did an amazing job! Now for the funnies - Lauren had a breakdown at the rehearsal because her teacher changed her hip hop dance while we were in Florida and her friends gave her grieve about showing her the new moves. Girls can be so mean. She cried and told me that she wasn't going to do that dance, and I told her to buck up and she was going to do it. Eventually, her teacher showed her the new moves and her new "spot", which made her feel alittle better. She ended up doing the best at this dance during the recital.

She was off on her lyrical dance because she kept messing with her undergarment. Explanation - The night before her recital, she was told by her teacher that she couldn't go bra less, she would need a brown bra or a strapless bra. So, off to Wal-Mart we headed. She tried on many bras and found two that would work. She had a regular brown bra and a strapless one. I told her to wear the brown one during the recital. Which one do you thing she wore, being that she always does the opposite of what I say? She wore the strapless one, and ended up holding herself the entire dance.

Now for Emily - In September when dance started, Emily was 7 years old, so I put her in the 5-7 years old class. Her teacher said she was too good for that class and moved her up to the 8-10 years old class. Emily came home from the first class bawling and saying it was way too hard. I like things to be challenging for my children, so I explained to her that because it was hard, she would learn more.

Fast forward to the night of the recital - Now it was my turn to be nervous for Emily, wondering how she would do compared to all the older girls in her class. Would you be able to tell she was the youngest? Would she screw up? Would she be hidden in the back? She did great!! I shouldn't have expected any less from my perfectionist daughter! She was perfect, knew both dances to a tee and she was front and center for most of both dances! All WAS well, until?

The finalie - All the students are on stage together, with all the students 7 and under receiving a dollar store baton to shake. I knew watching the finalie, that Emily was going to be upset that she didn't receive one. I wasn't prepared for how upset she was going to be!! She had a total meltdown and acted like a spoiled brat!! I was stunned and embarassed! She wouldn't smile for the pictures, nothing!! Needless to say, we have very few pictures, I was stressed, Emily was crying, she will never get a baton, the night ended badly, I eventually calmed down, Emily apologized.



8 comments:

Dawn said...

You're having techy difficulties, I don't see any dance pics.

Jill said...

Amy,
Poor Emily, Taylor was always smarter for the kids his age, but still a kid. We had a lot of meltdowns do to things like that. It's the price we pay for our gifted children!!!!

Congrats to the girls for a job well done!

Amy said...

Dawn,
The pictures are on now. You were reading as I was posting - for some weird reason, I like to post the story, then read the post already published, then I add pictures. Weird, but works for me.

Jill,
I was so embarassed, I felt like I had raised a spoiled brat!! Anyways, everything is good now, she understands that the younger kids only get those things:)

Jill said...

Great pics Amy!!

Dawn said...

The pics are great Amy! Great story too. I hadn't seen that yet either.

Amy said...

Dawn & Jill,
Thanks!! I've spent all day working on these posts! Beats pulling out weeds:)

Julie said...

Wow! The girls had dance recital AFTER the Florida trip? Just too much! Sounds like all ended up well and they sure looked beautiful in their costumes with the flowers.

Amy said...

Thanks, Julie!!