Friday, May 9, 2008

Finally, an Answer

As most of you know the second week of April I took my students to Hartley Outdoor Nature Camp. The class that I was helping to teach was the Ecology class. During this class, the students were expected to investigate the forest and its surroundings.

On our first class outing Monday afternoon, I picked up some leaves off the forest floor thinking it was wintergreen, so the students could smell it. One of my students said, "Mrs. Bojo, I think that is poison ivy." Another student chimed in, "No, it is too early for poison ivy." So, okay, I thought.

Fast forward to that Wednesday night. I began to break out in a rash on my legs. It soon spread to my thighs and then my arms. It also itched like crazy. I went to the doctors and he didn't know what it was and gave me an antibiotic and itch medicine.

A week later the rash on my legs and arms were gone, but the itching persisted. Back to the doctors I went to have him tell me I have dry skin. Another week went by and the itching persisted, but wasn't as bad.

Then this past Tuesday, while I was at work, I went to the bathroom. When I was washing my hands, I looked in the mirror and I noticed red spots all around my eyes and down the left side of my face. Within a day, it spread to my forehead, other cheek and down my neck. So, I called my doctor's office and he told me to go to a dermatologist. It was late in the afternoon that day, so I went to RediMed. Again, this doctor told me he didn't know what I have, but gave me three prescriptions to take.

This past Wednesday, the rash got worse and then Thursday I called the dermatologist to make an appointment. Today, Firday, I went to the dermatologist, who was a very nice man, and he told me that I have Poison Ivy.

Finally, someone knew why I was itching and breaking out. He tells me that I need to rewash everything. Nice!! Sounds like fun. So, Lucky Me!!! Now I know what the deal is and I hope to have it cleared up soon. We'll see!!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh Amy, no doubt next year at Hartley you'll remember "leaves of three leave them be." It only really stinks that you've dealt with it for almost a month now! Insane!

Glad they finally have it figured out.

Julie said...

You aren't going to forget this for a long time are you? Hopefully you finally have a correct diagnosis and on the mend.

Amy said...

Dawn and Julie,
I did tell the doctor, who also happened to be very cute, that next year I would pay closer attention to what I picked up.

Dawn, thanks for the mnemonic device to remember Poison Ivy:)

Jill said...

OK, I thought only the oil from the plant was contagious. So how are you spreading this?

Dawn said...

Happy Mother's Day!